Skip To Content
Daegu's Central Jung-gu District!

Introduction of Jung-gu

  1. Home
  2. Introduction of Jung-gu
  3. Introduction
  4. Jung-gu History

Jung-gu History



Jung-gu was established in 1601 (in the 34th year of King Seonjo of the Joseon Dynasty) in the current location of Gyeongsanggamyoung Park, in Pojeong-dong, next to Gyeongsang-gamyeong, and was where the governor resided and performed administrative, industrial, and military duties. Centered on Jung-gu, the surrounding area developed into the city of Daegu that we know today.

Jung-gu, the central region of the city, is considered to have been the impetus behind Daegu’s development into one of Korea’s three major cities. Home to the city’s major institutions, including the city hall and financial and distribution hubs, it served as the center of Daegu by facilitating its function of urban management.

Apr.1, 1953
Established the Jungbu and Jongno branch offices in Daegu Metropolitan City
Jan.1, 1963
Combined the two branch offices into an integrated Jung-gu Office
Jan.1, 1965
Integrated and abolished the administrative “dongs” (13 administrative areas)
Apr.1, 1980
Changed administrative areas (including Namsan-dong Nam-gu and parts of Daebong-dong - 19 administrative dongs)
Jul.1, 1981
Upgraded as Jung-gu of Daegu City
May.1, 1988
Upgraded as an autonomous region
Apr.15, 1991
Established the District Council based on local self-governing system
Jan.1, 1995
Name changed to Jung-gu of Daegu Metropolitan City
Jul.1, 1995
Beginning of era of autonomy through popular vote
Sep.14, 1998
Integrated and abolished the administrative dongs (19 dongs ->13 dongs)
Jun.1, 1999
Moved Jung-gu Office to new location (Dongindong-2ga 177-4)
Jul.4, 2011
Integrated and abolished the administrative dongs (13 dongs -> 12 dongs)
Update : 2018.09.14

Are you satisfied with the contents of the current page and the convenience of use?

To Page top